The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
The Systems Specialist is a subject matter expert who participates in the running of a heterogeneous compute facility for a state of the art research facility. This facility encompasses over 300 desktop seats, 12PB of networked storage and over 24000 cores of clustered high performance compute (HPC). This position will report to the Systems Manager
- Configuration and tuning of Windows/MACOS/Linux operation systems, installation of software onto systems
- Monitors the security of the information technology infrastructure and its components, including firewalls
- Performs risk assessments pertaining to any security vulnerabilities present on the GSC systems
- Prepares and communicates policies and procedures on security
- Investigates design, implementation, and operational flaws that could be used to exploit IT resources; participates in the design of Information Security solutions in accordance with industry standard best practices, regulatory guidelines and organization policies
- Coaches and develops security practices and skills within IT and in business departments
- Research security enhancements and make recommendations to management.
- Stay on top of information technology trends and security standards.
- Advising the systems coordinator and participating in planning solutions for future directions as defined by the GSC
- Assisting junior and intermediate team members
- Documenting processes and maintaining knowledge bases
- Consults with external contacts, including vendors and external partners, on security issues regarding technical infrastructure
- Other duties as prescribed by supervisor
A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience. Four (4) years experience in a fast paced IT environment.
High level of expertise with the Windows/MACOS/Linux operating systems. Deep understanding of security best practices and vulnerability assessments.
Demonstrated proficiency in security auditing processes, with a preference to ISO27001
Self-motivated, personal accountability with the ability to work independently within a team environment following prescribed processes with the ability to give direction to junior and intermediate team members. Ability to plan, organize and coordinate a variety of activities to ensure maximum effectiveness.
Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with individuals at all levels, both internal and external to the GSC. Strong analytical skills. A problem solver able to dive deep into a problem without losing sight of the big picture and working with integrity, adaptability and originality. Physical ability to perform the duties of the job and lift 50 lbs.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to email@example.com, using RP_R00008_2021_10_06_Systems in the subject line of your email.
This posting will remain online until filled.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the successful candidate may be obligated to work remotely and must be able to do so; however, work with the Provincial Health Services Authority (of which the GSC is part) requires that the candidate live in the province of British Columbia. Conditions of employment will be finalized with the successful candidate.
We believe that equity, diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.