The Michael Smith Genome Science Centre of BC Cancer is looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Research Programmer to work on the next generation of our federated genome and health data sharing platform, CanDIG (https://www.distributedgenomics.ca). The project was originally based on the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health framework and now connects the lead sequencing institutions in Canada. The position is within Dr. Jones group therefore successful candidate will have the opportunity to get insights on Personalized OncoGenomics (POG) program and other precision medicine initiatives. This requires a combination of interest in DNA technology and strong background in software development.
The successful candidate will have an undergraduate degree in computer science or software engineering.
Mandatory Skills and Abilities:
* 3+ years experience in Python programming
* Front and/or back end development experience
* Previous API development projects, Open API or Rest API
* General understanding or previous experience in microservice architecture and development
* Any web framework experience
* Database development knowledge
Bonus to have:
* Previous project on database access restriction or authorization tool knowledge
* RBAC experience
* Experience building rich queries using GraphQL or other data query language
* Experience working with distributed systems
Basic understanding of DNA technology or previous work experience with genetic data is a plus, but not required for the position. The position requires working with a wide variety of researchers, software developers and clinicians, thus excellent communication skills are essential.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.