The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Job Reference No. RP_R00008_VarDB_2023_08_25
The Software Developer to join the bioinformatics databases team at the Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) will work on developing databases and applications at the GSC, including the Hadoop-based VarDB, graphDB knowledgebase, and clinical databases. Strong Python and node.js server side application skills are required. The role is ideally suited for a creative individual with a strong interest in software development and testing, database development, and automation within a high throughput academic setting. General understanding of clinical or biological data would be an asset.
• Design, plan, and implement web applications and databases
• Work with other project team members to develop and test code, and implement software
• Evaluate third-party software and incorporate new systems into legacy systems
• Produce thorough but concise written documentation of algorithms, validations, SOPs, and other processes and procedures as required.
• Graduation from a recognized Bachelor of Science Program in Computer Science. A Master’s degree in a relevant field would be a strong asset.
• Two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the project lead.
Skills and Abilities:
• Functional knowledge of distributed version control systems, such as SVN or GIT
• Expertise with Python 3.X and able to provide links to code samples via github or other open repository
• Express.js, Node.js and React.js programming
• Comfortable working in a Unix environment, including experience with shell scripting and common command-line tools
• Familiarity with Agile software practices
• Familiarity with the development, testing, and maintenance of relational databases
• Experience with software testing
• Able to collaborate and write software in a team environment
• General biological scientific background or experience would be an asset
• Able to write in concise but precise prose
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
• Demonstrated ability to efficiently organize work assignments and establish priorities
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to email@example.com, using Job Reference No. RP_R00008_VarDB_2023_08_25 in the subject line of your email.
While we value and review all applications, please note that due to the volume of submissions only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This posting will remain online until the position is filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Please note all jobs at the GSC are based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Flexible work options may be available for this position upon request and is subject to change in accordance with GSC’s operational needs and PHSA’s Flexible Work Options Policy.
We believe that equity, diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.