Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) at BC Cancer is an international leader in genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics for precision medicine. By developing and deploying genome sequencing, computational and analytical technology, we are creating novel strategies to prevent and diagnose cancers and other diseases, uncovering new therapeutic targets, and helping the world realize the social and economic benefits of genome science
Learn more about how the GSC is Bringing Genomics to Life.
Why work at the GSC
As the first genome centre to be established within a cancer clinic, our story began by thinking outside of the box. From being the first in the world to sequence the SARS coronavirus during the 2003 global outbreak to publishing the first study demonstrating the use of whole-genome sequencing to influence personalized cancer treatment planning in 2010, our passion for pushing scientific frontiers continues to this day.
Our technology platforms enable the transformative science being done at the GSC, but it is our world-class team of scientists and innovators that make it happen. By joining the GSC you will become part of a diverse and dedicated group of biologists, bioinformaticians, computer scientists, computational biologists, biochemists, engineers, and clinicians. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, and respect—to join us in our mission to provide genomics, bioinformatics, and proteomics technology and expertise for the benefit of human health and society.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science. We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
*Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on part-time temporary basis. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting*
Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Science (the “GSC”) at BC Cancer is looking for a Manager, Systems, responsible for developing, maintaining, and supporting the IT infrastructure of the GSC.
Under the direction of the Head of Bioinformatics, the Manager, Systems develops a vision for the IT infrastructure capable of supporting the future research direction and production requirements of the GSC.
The Manager, Systems ensures the confidentiality, integrity and availability of data within the department and organization.
If you have experience leading teams, managing multiple projects at the same time, and you enjoy solving problems and working with multiple stakeholders, please read on.
- Liaise with members of senior management to solicit requirements and report progress of IT
- Manage high-level planning for informatics research and laboratory production requirements
- Manage the design and development of IT systems and projects
- Provide leadership, coaching and direction to the Systems team including coop students
- Coordinate and prioritize project plans and tasks
- Address and resolve reported project roadblocks, and develop procedures to reduce these
- Manage support issues from all staff and maintain systems to ensure that support issues are handled and prioritized accordingly
- Develop service level agreements within the organization
- Develop and manage process for new releases and changes to the production environment
- Manage software license compliance, and participate in regular audits
- Responsible for data security, storage and archiving as per business requirements
- Develop and enforce technical information system standards
- Design and develop implementation of information systems policies and training material
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized institution in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and/or Life Sciences or related field or a combination of relevant education and work experience
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience working in an IT department or similar environment
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience managing and directing a systems team
- Knowledge of softwares such as Slurm, Atlassian, Linux (Centos, Ubuntu), Windows10, Macintosh, Office, LDAP, AD, Exchange an asset
- Experience working with network such as Brocade and Barracuda an asset
- Knowledge of audit process, including ISO an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as appropriate
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills. Ability to coach and motivate staff
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to use audience appropriate communication and language to present information and convey concepts
- Ability to achieve results in a fast-paced research environment
Please send a copy of your resume and a detailed cover letter to email@example.com
While we are looking to fill this position as soon as possible, please note that this position will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for the next step will be contacted.