The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Job Reference No: GSCC_F00412_Purchasing_2023_09_18
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Genome Sciences Centre Clerk performs a variety of clerical duties such as assisting with the preparation of reports, maintaining computerized databases, speaking with vendors, reconciling invoices and assisting with the receipt of goods and equipment.
- Assists in the preparation of routine laboratory expenditure reports including monthly and annual reports by performing duties such as compiling information from a variety of sources, entering information into financial spreadsheet software such as Excel and producing reports for forwarding to the supervisor.
- Updates laboratory inventory database by performing duties such as receiving inventory documents, checking for completeness, contacting vendors and entering data into computerized inventory system.
- Places specific purchase orders with designated external suppliers by performing duties such as contacting suppliers, completing purchase order and arranging for approvals and forwarding to suppliers.
- Obtains information such as prices and estimated delivery dates for supplies and/or equipment by performing duties such as using the Internet to identify sources and prices of supplies and/or equipment and forwarding information to supervisor.
- Contacts external suppliers to investigate a variety of matters such as incorrect invoices, pricing problems, outstanding or backordered items and damaged goods; traces duplicate shipments and organizes invoice adjustments and credit notes with suppliers; returns outdated and/or deleted stock to vendors as directed.
- Maintains a library of supplies and equipment catalogues by performing duties such as using the Internet to identify sources of catalogues, requesting current catalogues from suppliers, and providing information to staff as requested.
- Reconciles designated accounts by performing duties such as matching information including payments received, refunds and invoices issued and identifying differences. Balances information with ledger. Refers problems to supervisor.
- Performs a variety of duties related to the receiving of goods and equipment including unpacking, labelling and recording receipt of goods and equipment.
- Maintains a variety of laboratory supplies and reagents by performing duties such as by performing duties such as reviewing stock on hand against pre-determined re-order points and completing requisitions for approval and forwarding to purchasing.
- Maintains information such as MSDS sheets, product information and price lists by performing duties such as receiving and requesting information, advising staff of new and/or changed information and filing for future reference.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
- Grade 12 and two year's recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to keyboard at 45 w.p.m.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to supervise
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to organize work.
As this is a union position, you will also have to apply either as an internal or external applicant through http://www.phsa.ca/careers using the posting reference 152502.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to email@example.com, using Job Reference No: GSCC_F00412_Purchasing_2023_09_18 in the subject line of your email.
While we value and review all applications, please note that due to the volume of submissions only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This posting will remain online until the position is filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Please note all jobs at the GSC are onsite positions based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Flexible work options may be available for this position upon request and is subject to change in accordance with GSC’s operational needs and PHSA’s Flexible Work Options Policy.
We believe that equity, diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.