Job Code: CSS HEU Req # 104022
Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) at BC Cancer is an international leader in genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics for precision medicine. By developing and deploying genome sequencing, computational and analytical technology, we are creating novel strategies to prevent and diagnose cancers and other diseases, uncovering new therapeutic targets, and helping the world realize the social and economic benefits of genome science
Learn more about how the GSC is Bringing Genomics to Life.
Why work at the GSC
As the first genome centre to be established within a cancer clinic, our story began by thinking outside of the box. From being the first in the world to sequence the SARS coronavirus during the 2003 global outbreak to publishing the first study demonstrating the use of whole-genome sequencing to influence personalized cancer treatment planning in 2010, our passion for pushing scientific frontiers continues to this day.
Our technology platforms enable the transformative science being done at the GSC, but it is our world-class team of scientists and innovators that make it happen. By joining the GSC you will become part of a diverse and dedicated group of biologists, bioinformaticians, computer scientists, computational biologists, biochemists, engineers, and clinicians. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, and respect—to join us in our mission to provide genomics, bioinformatics, and proteomics technology and expertise for the benefit of human health and society.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science. We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
*Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on part-time temporary basis. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting*
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Computer Systems Specialist provides high-end technical support for the GSC information technology infrastructure. This infrastructure includes the data servers, data network, and client workstations, as well as the website. Duties include establishing technical standards, designing infrastructure architecture, installing, configuring and upgrading infrastructure components, monitoring infrastructure security and performance, and proactively planning infrastructure enhancements.
This position is unionized and falls under the HEU collective agreement
- Maintains the enterprise class storage systems.
- Manages the data backup and recovery procedures.
- Installs, configures, modifies and tests computer hardware used as servers on the GSC network.
- Installs, configures, and upgrades server software.
- Designs and implements the GSC network infrastructure, including the design of network topology and the selection and installation of network components.
- Monitors the security of the information technology infrastructure and its components, including firewalls.
- Prepares and communicates policies and procedures on security.
- Develops configuration standards and implementation procedures for network peripherals such as client workstations and network printers.
- Maintains website hardware and runs webserver software.
- Creates and maintains mailing groups.
- Codes, modifies, tests and maintains programs to meet user requirements.
- Develops GSC wide backup and recovery procedures.
- Monitors and reports on the performance of all infrastructure components, and responds to and resolves any issues regarding performance.
- Prepares plans for proactive infrastructure upgrades, including evidence-based reporting on the rationale for such upgrades.
- Resolves user issues on the technical infrastructure.
- Provides expert advice on technical issues.
- Assists with strategic planning on GSC information technology infrastructure, including data, voice and video.
- Consults with external contacts, including vendors and external partners, on issues regarding technical infrastructure.
- Performs related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12, plus graduation from a recognized two-year systems technology diploma plus three (3) years of recent related experience, which includes experience in:
- Enterprise class storage systems
- Backup and recovery procedures to disk and tape
- Client/server architecture.
- Multi-user networked environment.
- Personal computers.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to type.
- Ability to communicate and deal effectively with all levels of staff both verbally and in writing.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Use the subject title: CSS HEU Req # 104022 Computer Systems Specialist
For internal applicants please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to apply online.
For external applicants, please send a copy of your resume and a detailed cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org