The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Job Reference No. CB_P01066_Software Development_HSA154623_2023_10_24
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of PHSA, safety, including both patient and employee safety, is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA. As such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Computational Biologist participates in developing, improving and maintaining bioinformatics tools for high-throughput processing pipelines. The Computational Biologist specifies, implements, tests and maintains bioinformatics computer applications and systems, and participates in the code walk-throughs and design and review of bioinformatics software solutions. The Computational Biologist will also assist in the packaging and distribution of developed tools and analysis results to the scientific community, and will contribute to the preparation of scientific publications.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Science Program in either Computer Science, Biological Sciences, or equivalent program.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience in a bioinformatic setting or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the GSC Group Leaders.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated expertise with Python or other similar high level languages for application in data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to program and run analysis in a high throughput bioinformatics production environment.
- Functional knowledge of distributed version control systems, such as GIT.
- Functional knowledge of Agile development and ticketing systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work with bioinformatics workflow managers (e.g. Nextflow).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an Unix environment, including experience with shell scripting and common command-line tools.
- Demonstrated ability to develop software as part of a team.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently organize work assignments and establish priorities.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, which includes statutory benefits - Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance and WorkSafe BC plus the BC Cancer group benefits plan which includes medical & dental extended health, and group life insurance coverage, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time with an opportunity for Regular Full Time employment, 7.5 hrs. per day
$35.52 to $44.33 per hour for 6th year. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate’s relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan.
As this is a union position, you will also have to apply either as an internal or external applicant through http://www.phsa.ca/careers using the posting reference 154623.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to email@example.com, using Job Reference No: CB_P01066_Software Development_HSA154623_2023_10_24 in the subject line of your email.
While we value and review all applications, please note that due to the volume of submissions only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This posting will remain online until the position is filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Please note all jobs at the GSC are onsite positions based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Flexible work options may be available for this position upon request and is subject to change in accordance with GSC’s operational needs and PHSA’s Flexible Work Options Policy.
We believe that equity, diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.