The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Job Reference No: CSA_HEU# 107599_F00420_2021_04_27
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Provides computer technical support services at the Genome Sequence Centre (GSC). Duties include investigating and resolving hardware and software problems, installing, configuring and testing hardware and software, providing training to users and participating in GSC bioinformatic projects.
- Maintains the computer system and network for the GSC by performing duties such as responding to system, communications and user problems, investigating problems and taking corrective action as per established procedures. Resolves user issues on the technical infrastructure. Refers problems as required Installs, configures, modifies and tests all computer hardware within the GSC network.
- Installs, configures and upgrades server software as directed.
- Installs and provides technical support for GSC operating systems and including UNIX-based scientific applications such as Apache, AceDB, CONSED, MySQL, Perl Modules, and other bioinformatic software.
- Provides training to users in the use of hardware and software and prepares instructional material.
- Works with others in the implementation of the GSC network infrastructure (servers, network, workstations, website) by installing network components and testing.
- Installs, configures, modifies and tests all computer hardware within the GSC network.
- Maintains printers, barcode readers and associated hardware.
- Modifies website content as required. Maintains hardware and runs web server software.
- Carries out and monitors GSC wide backup and recovery procedures.
- Provides input into the development of the GSC’s information technology infrastructure strategy which includes data, voice and video technology.
- Under direction, monitors and maintains security profiles for computer systems by adding and deleting user names and reviewing security logs.
- Codes, modifies, tests and maintains programs from specifications to complement systems implementation and meet technical and client support requirements.
- Maintains an inventory of software and their version for all computers within the GSC network.
- Writes basic computer programs to automate frequently performed tasks.
- Performing other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
Completion of Grade 12 plus graduation from a recognized two (2) year systems technology diploma, plus two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to type.
- Ability to communicate and deal effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work with other effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and the names of three referees willing to provide letters of reference. The cover letter should include a brief description of your previous experience and long-term career goals. Please email your application to email@example.com.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on a temporary basis. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting.