Job Code: ABCSD HSA Req 86652
The Assistant Bioinformatics Coordinator provides supervisory and technical support to the Bioinformatics group of the Genome Sequence Centre (GSC). Ensures that the day-to-day activities of a large scale, high throughput facility meet research, data analysis throughput and software development objectives.
1. Assists the Bioinformatics Coordinator in the day to day activities of the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as providing input on quantity and quality of work, making recommendations for improvements, workflow and procedures.
2. Coordinates projects of the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as chairing project-specific meetings and provides project status reports to the Bioinformatics Coordinator, with suggestions towards any required improvement of project management, task allocation and overall process.
3. Develops and implements assays to monitor project progress and measure project accomplishments to ensure that appropriate project focus is maintained and to provide feedback to staff.
4. Provides supervisory support to the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as:
a. Orientating new staff.
b. Providing input to the Bioinformatics Coordinator on training requirements and performing group specific training.
c. Providing input to the Bioinformatics Coordinator on the establishment of clear definitions of responsibility for employees.
d. Assigning workload assignments and establishing work schedules.
e. Reviewing and establishing work priorities and adjusting work schedules to ensure priorities are met.
f. Completing performance reviews and addressing performance issues in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Coordinator.
5. Participates in the recruitment of staff through methods such as interviewing internal and external applicants and forwards hiring recommendations.
6. Participates in the development and implementation of quality improvement programs to ensure services are provided in the most efficient and effective way by performing duties such as:
a. Monitoring quality and quantity of service and information provided by the bioinformatics group and identifying areas for change and/or improvement.
b. Generating test metrics to evaluate progress of research programs.
c. Writing and updating Standard operating procedures pertaining to tasks and pipelines run by the group.
d. Coordinating and writing technical validation documents for new and improved pipelines and processes.
7. Assesses practical needs for identified research direction of the GSC in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Coordinator and Bioinformatics Group Leader.
8. Participates in a variety of meetings by performing duties such as providing and/or receiving information and contributing to decision making.
9. Participates, in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Coordinator, in determining the computer infrastructure necessary for successful completion of projects and ensured viability of research programs by performing duties such as providing input and recommendations regarding purchasing decisions related to hardware, software and related items for the Bioinformatics platform.
10. Interprets statistical analyses and makes recommendations for review including preparing reports on statistical findings for publication and presentation in HTML format or as advised.
11. Conducts feasibility studies for computerization by performing duties such as determining user requirements, examining and identifying problems with existing systems and recommending modifications to and/or new systems; provides details of estimated implementation costs including associated staffing requirements.
12. Performs technical functions related to the bioinformatic department of the GSC.
13. Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
Graduation from a recognized Bachelor’s program in a related discipline such as Biochemistry, Genetics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Physics. A minimum of four (4) years of recent related experience including experience in computer programming and quantitative data analysis, handling biological sequence and/or mapping data, database development and data storage schemas or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the GSC Group Leaders.
Skills and Abilities
Experience with computer operating systems such as Linux, MacOS.
Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility and work independently.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
Demonstrated ability to supervise staff and schedule work.
Excellent organizational, leadership interpersonal and communication skills.
Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
Please send your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internal (HEU and HSA union members) applicants please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to apply online for internal job postings.