The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Job Reference No: ABC_HSA# 108912_P00183_2021_05_18
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Assistant Bioinformatics Coordinator provides supervisory and technical support to the Bioinformatics group of the Genome Sequence Centre (GSC). Ensures that the day-to-day activities of a large scale, high throughput facility meet research, data analysis throughput and software development objectives.
- Assists the Bioinformatics Coordinator in the day to day activities of the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as providing input on quantity and quality of work, making recommendations for improvements, workflow and procedures.
- Coordinates projects of the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as chairing project-specific meetings and provides project status reports to the Bioinformatics Coordinator, with suggestions towards any required improvement of project management, task allocation and overall process.
- Develops and implements assays to monitor project progress and measure project accomplishments to ensure that appropriate project focus is maintained and to provide feedback to staff.
- Provides supervisory support to the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as:
- Orientating new staff.
- Providing input to the Bioinformatics Coordinator on training requirements.
- Providing input to the Production Coordinator on the establishment of clear definitions of responsibility for employees.
- Assigning workload assignments and establishing work schedules.
- Reviewing and establishing work priorities and adjusting work schedules to ensure priorities are met.
- Completing performance reviews and addressing performance issues in conjunction with the Production Coordinator.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff through methods such as interviewing internal and external applicants and forwards hiring recommendations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of quality improvement programs to ensure services are provided in the most efficient and effective way by performing duties such as:
- Monitoring quality and quantity of service and information provided by the bioinformatics group and identifying areas for change and/or improvement.
- Generating test metrics to evaluate progress of research programs.
- Assesses practical needs for identified research direction of the GSC in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Coordinator and Analysis Group Leader.
- Participates in a variety of meetings by performing duties such as providing and/or receiving information and contributing to decision making.
- Participates, in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Coordinator, in determining the computer infrastructure necessary for successful completion of projects and ensured viability of research programs by performing duties such as providing input and recommendations regarding purchasing decisions related to hardware, software and related items for the Bioinformatics platform.
- Interprets statistical analyses and makes recommendations for review including preparing reports on statistical findings for publication and presentation in HTML format or as advised.
- Conducts feasibility studies for computerization by performing duties such as determining user requirements, examining and identifying problems with existing systems and recommending modifications to and/or new systems; provides details of estimated implementation costs including associated staffing requirements.
- Performs technical functions related to the bioinformatic functions of the GSC.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Bachelor’s program in a related discipline such as Biochemistry, Genetics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Physics. A minimum of four (4) years of recent related experience including experience in computer programming and quantitative data analysis, handling biological sequence and/or mapping data, database development and data storage schemas or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the GSC Group Leaders.
Skills and Abilities
- Experience with computer operating systems such as Linux, UNIX.
- Demonstrated ability to work with software such as C, C++, Perl , Matlab, MySQL.
- Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff and schedule work.
- Excellent organizational, leadership interpersonal and communication skills.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and the names of three referees willing to provide letters of reference. The cover letter should include a brief description of your previous research experience and long-term career goals. Please email your application to email@example.com.
*We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
*All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
*Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on a temporary basis. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting.