Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) at BC Cancer is an international leader in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics for precision medicine. By developing and deploying genome sequencing, computational and analytical technology, we are creating novel strategies to prevent and diagnose cancers and other diseases, uncovering new therapeutic targets and helping the world realize the social and economic benefits of genome science
Learn more about how the GSC is Bringing Genomics to Life.
Why work at the GSC
As the first genome centre to be established within a cancer clinic, our story began by thinking outside of the box. From being the first in the world to sequence the SARS coronavirus during the 2003 global outbreak to publishing the first study demonstrating the use of whole genome sequencing to influence personalized cancer treatment planning in 2010, our passion for pushing scientific frontiers continues to this day.
Our technology platforms enable the transformative science being done at the GSC. But it is our world-class team of scientists and innovators that make it happen. By joining the GSC you will become part of a diverse and dedicated group of biologists, bioinformaticians, computer scientists, computational biologists, biochemists, engineers and clinicians. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness and respect—to join us in our mission to provide genomics, bioinformatics and proteomics technology and expertise for the benefit of human health and society.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity is essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science. We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
*Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting.
Job Code: ABC HSA Req #097093
- Assists the Bioinformatics Group Leader in the day to day activities of the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as providing input on quantity and quality of work, making recommendations for improvements, workflow and procedures.
- Coordinates projects of the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as chairing project-specific meetings and provides project status reports to the Bioinformatics Group Leader, with suggestions towards any required improvement of project management, task allocation and overall process.
- Develops and implements assays to monitor project progress and measure project accomplishments to ensure that appropriate project focus is maintained and to provide feedback to staff.
- Provides supervisory support to the Bioinformatics group by performing duties such as:
- Orientating new staff.
- Providing input to the Bioinformatics Group Leader on training requirements.
- Providing input to the Production Coordinator on the establishment of clear definitions of responsibility for employees.
- Assigning workload assignments and establishing work schedules.
- Reviewing and establishing work priorities and adjusting work schedules to ensure priorities are met.
- Completing performance reviews and addressing performance issues in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Group Leader.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff through methods such as interviewing internal and external applicants and forwards hiring recommendations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of quality improvement programs to ensure services are provided in the most efficient and effective way by performing duties such as:
- Monitoring quality and quantity of service and information provided by the bioinformatics group and identifying areas for change and/or improvement.
- Generating test metrics to evaluate progress of research programs.
- Participates in a variety of meetings by performing duties such as providing and/or receiving information and contributing to decision making.
- Participates, in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Group Leader, in determining the computer infrastructure necessary for successful completion of projects and ensured viability of research programs by performing duties such as providing input and recommendations regarding purchasing decisions related to hardware, software and related items for the Bioinformatics platform.
- Interprets statistical analyses and makes recommendations for review including preparing reports on statistical findings for publication and presentation.
- Conducts feasibility studies for computerization by performing duties such as determining user requirements, examining and identifying problems with existing systems and recommending modifications to and/or new systems; provides details of estimated implementation costs including associated staffing requirements.
- Performs technical functions related to the bioinformatic functions of the GSC.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Bachelor of Science Program in Computer Science or equivalent with significant computer science components.
- A minimum of four (4) years of recent related experience including experience in computer programming and quantitative data analysis, handling biological sequence and/or mapping data, database development and database schemas or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the GSC Group Leaders.
Skills and Abilities
- Experience with computer operating systems such as Linux, UNIX.
- Experience with REST API development
- Familiarity with non-relational databases such as Hadoop or graph databases
- Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff and schedule work.
- Excellent organizational, leadership interpersonal and communication skills.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
email cover letter and resume to email@example.com