Job Code: E01823
Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) at BC Cancer is an international leader in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics for precision medicine. By developing and deploying genome sequencing, computational and analytical technology, we are creating novel strategies to prevent and diagnose cancers and other diseases, uncovering new therapeutic targets and helping the world realize the social and economic benefits of genome science
Learn more about how the GSC is Bringing Genomics to Life.
Why work at the GSC
As the first genome centre to be established within a cancer clinic, our story began by thinking outside of the box. From being the first in the world to sequence the SARS coronavirus during the 2003 global outbreak to publishing the first study demonstrating the use of whole genome sequencing to influence personalized cancer treatment planning in 2010, our passion for pushing scientific frontiers continues to this day.
Our technology platforms enable the transformative science being done at the GSC. But it is our world-class team of scientists and innovators that make it happen. By joining the GSC you will become part of a diverse and dedicated group of biologists, bioinformaticians, computer scientists, computational biologists, biochemists, engineers and clinicians. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness and respect—to join us in our mission to provide genomics, bioinformatics and proteomics technology and expertise for the benefit of human health and society.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity is essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science. We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
*Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting*
Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) is looking for a full-time Administrative Assistant.
Do you have fantastic attention to details and are you a strong team player? Are you customer-oriented?
Reporting to the Administrative Coordinator and working within the context of a research environment, the Administrative Assistant produces a variety of confidential and sensitive documents, participates in the preparation and submission of grant proposals and assists with a variety of financial functions within the GSC.
The Administrative Assistant works with diverse and sensitive issues. This position exercises initiative, judgment and problem solving skills to complete work.
- Maintains a coordinated and up-to-date calendar for the designated Leaders’ appointment schedules by determining urgency and nature of requests, scheduling and making necessary arrangements, and resolving time conflicts.
- Coordinates appropriate travel and accommodation arrangements for designated Leaders’ attendance, including lab members, at conferences and meetings, confirms reservations, and establishes an itinerary (on hold during COVID).
- Responds to verbal and written communication and liaises internally and externally to respond to, share information, clarify details, and ensure follow-up by relevant personnel on emergent issues.
- Produces timely, accurate and well formatted documents using various word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software packages, including creation of tables, spreadsheets, presentations and reports. Enters and collects data, and compiles relevant statistical information and reports.
- Prepares curriculum vitae and biosketches for scientific staff and lab members.
- Administers petty cash.
- Reconciles credit cards.
- Prepares and submits expense claims.
- Performs other related duties as assigned as they relate to the role.
What we’d like you to bring to the role:
- A minimum of five years’ recently related administrative experience, preferably in a health care or research environment
- Superb organizational and word processing skills, and capacity to learn new systems or processes
- Strong attention to detail and the aptitude to change focus as needed
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- The ability to be flexible, adaptable, collaborative, and a proven team player
Please send a copy of your resume and a detailed cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that while we hope to fill this role as soon as possible, this position will remain open until filled.
Testing of Microsoft Office suite tools and typing speed (minimum 50 wpm) will be a part of the hiring process.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for the next step will be contacted.