Dr. Marco Marra, OBC, PhD, FRS(C), FCAHS
Director and Distinguished Scientist, Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre, BC Cancer Agency
Professor and Head, Department of Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia
Canada Research Chair in Genome Science, University of British Columbia
Adjunct Professor, Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Simon Fraser University
Terry Fox Research Institute, British Columbia Node Leader
Introduction to the Genome Sciences Department and the Genome Sciences Centre
I am pleased to serve as the Head of the Genome Sciences Department and the Director of the Genome Sciences Centre (GSC). The Genome Sciences Department is composed of 13 Principal Investigators with diverse interests revolving around the development or application of genomic, bioinformatic or proteomic assays to pressing problems in human health, particularly cancers. The Genome Sciences Centre is an internationally acclaimed technology cluster that encompasses DNA sequencing, bioinformatics and technology development.
My individual laboratory within the Department is currently composed of 4 postdoctoral fellows, 2 senior research associates, 3 research assistants, 1 assistant production coordinator, 5 graduate students, and 2 student researchers. Graduate students are in the UBC Bioinformatics Training Program (3); and the UBC Genome Sciences and Technology Program (GSAT; 2). Students are working on characterizing cancer driver mutations and other alterations relevant to cancer, or on projects designed to identify the most important cancer genes and pathways from the rapidly accumulating deluge of genomic data.
For a copy of my current complete CV, please click here.
Lab members and their projects can be viewed here.
Honors and Awards
- Highly Cited Researcher (Thomson Reuters) and listed in the 2014 World's Most Influential Scientific Minds (highlycited.com).
I was also featured in the July 4th, 2014 issue of Globe and Mail as the 2nd most highly cited scientist in Canada. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/examining-canadas-scientific-footprint/article19476174/).
- 2013 Killiam Research Prize, University of British Columbia, 2014
- Lions Club International Medal of Merit, 2012
- Distinguished Achievement Award, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, 2012
- Canada Research Chair in Genome Science, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2010
- Terry Fox Medal Award, British Columbia Medical Association, 2010
- Order of British Columbia, Province of British Columbia, 2010
- Genome BC Award for Scientific Excellence, LifeSciences British Columbia, 2010
- Fellow, Canadian Academy of Health Sciences, 2009
- Frontiers in Research Award, British Columbia Innovation Council, 2008
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada, 2007
- Merck Frosst Prize, Canadian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular & Cellular Biology, 2007
- Career Investigator Award (Senior Scholar level), Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, 2006-2011
- Distinguished Achievement Award, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, 2006-2007
- President's 40th Anniversary Award, Simon Fraser University, 2006
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Laws, University of Calgary, 2005
- The Best of the Best of Canada's Top 40 Under 40, The Caldwell Partners Int'l, 2005
- Terry Fox Young Investigator Award, National Cancer Institute of Canada, 2004
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Science, Simon Fraser University, 2004
- Innovation and Achievement Award (to entire GSC staff), LifeSciences BC (formerly BC Biotech), 2004
- Career Investigator Award (Scholar level), Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, 2001-2006
- Top 40 Under 40 Award, The Caldwell Partners Int'l, 2000
- Notable Canadian 35 and Under, The Globe and Mail, 2000
- Outstanding Alumni Award for Academic Achievement, Simon Fraser University, 1999