Clinical Genomics Database Web Developer
Job Code: CGDWD - HSA Req# 52409
Clinical genomic testing is rapidly becoming a standard of care for many hereditary and acquired conditions. The Centre for Clinical Genomics (CCG) at the BC Cancer Agency Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) implements novel genomic technologies while harnessing the significant bioinformatic expertise residing at the GSC for data analysis and interpretation. The CCG provides high throughput sequencing for genomic diagnostics in CAP (College of American Pathologists) accredited laboratories. The combination of technical, informatic and clinical expertise ensures genomic diagnostics are delivered with high-quality and confidence.
The CCG is seeking a Clinical Genomics Web Developer interested in working with a multi-disciplinary clinical and academic team specializing in molecular diagnostics. The incumbent will develop web-based applications and design databases to be used for data analysis and reporting results to clinicians. Applicants must be comfortable doing both backend and front end work and be familiar with the Linux environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Development of web-based applications to allow for sample submission, clinical report retrieval, and analysis interpretation.
2. Development of databases to be used for tracking sensitive information (i.e. patient information) and analysis results for reports used by clinical staff and physicians.
3. Development of interactive tools to allow for interpretation of results from genetic and genomic assays.
4. Quality-assurance testing for websites and databases.
5. Development and assessment of bioinformatic tools for detection of genetic variants implicated in oncogenesis.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
• Graduation from a recognized Bachelor of Science Program in Computer Science.
• Two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the CCG Medical Director.
training, and experience acceptable to the CCG Medical Director.
Skills and Abilities
- HTML 5
- CSS 3
- Familiarity with Linux and networks
- Familiarity with version control
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL
- Familiarity with Node.js frameworks (ExpressJS, SailsJS, etc.)
- Familiarity with API design
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration
- Familiarity with key/value stores (preferably Redis)
- Some graphic design, UI/UX experience
- Some knowledge of Python
The successful applicant will work in a team environment which includes clinicians, research scientists, technicians, and bioinformaticians.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please send your resume with cover letter to email@example.com.
Internal (HEU and HSA union members) applicants please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to apply online for internal job postings.